True Value Financial
We are a little different……
A disciplined approach guides our decision making process and challenges us towards relentless pursuit of excellence.
- intensely loyal to our clients;
- active participants in our clients’ financial lives;
- mission driven, focusing on making a meaningful difference for clients and the wider community;
- welcoming of unconventional perspectives, challenge assumptions, and adapt to changing conditions;
Our investment decisions are guided by each clients’ personal risk tolerance, goals, time horizon, economic conditions, personal values, and a desire to achieve absolute returns.
Whether you plan to be financially secure in retirement or in buying your dream home, providing higher education for your children or looking after your parents, or providing for yourself, in business continuity or succession planning or philanthropic and charitable bequests. Whether navigating the government system or your own employee benefits, addressing financial risks with appropriate and adequate insurance or managing investments – we factor all these in your larger life plan and help you make choices that suit your purpose and values.
Our clients tend to be smart, busy people who know what they don’t know and would like to do something with their time other than day to day management of their financial well being.
We are not for everyone. Over time, we have developed a clear understanding of what is needed for us to serve our clients the best we can.
Our Investment Process
True Value Financial takes a sensible approach to investing, based on years of experience. We build diversified and well-balanced portfolios aligned with our clients’ needs. Our investment approach has passed the ‘acid test’, as our clients also include people with decades of experience in the investment industry.
We design a customized portfolio comprised of best-in-class mutual funds or segregated funds choosing from hundreds of funds across tens of fund companies. We work with our clients aligning their investment assets with their goals, as well as their existing and expected liabilities. This process takes into account the level of risk that the clients are comfortable taking and the level of risk for their profile, time horizon and income. The outcome of this process is a target asset allocation across the clients’ investment accounts.
The next step is to choose the specific investments for each asset class, from a selection of mutual funds or segregated funds. To do so, we choose the best-in-class funds based on the following criteria:
- Percentile ranking by Morningstar category – how the funds have done compared to other funds
- Manager tenure – how long the fund managers have been managing these types of investments
- Expense ratio – how much the fund company charges
Our investment philosophy is comprised of the following three pillars:
- Limited tactical asset allocation where we are not trying to time the market, since most people have not been able to do so consistently over time. We stick to a long-term approach by focusing on the target asset allocation.
- Passive investing (index funds or ETFs) where it makes sense, such as large-cap US stocks, and active investing (non-index funds) for areas where managers have had more success beating the benchmark.
- Portfolio review and rebalancing if required regularly.
Ready to learn more? Contact us for a free 30-minute conversation.
At True Value Financial, our expert investment advisers offer years of experience in helping our clients grow and protect their money. We work with your cash flow needs, objectives, desired level of returns and risk tolerance.
Check out our estate planning services or get in touch with us to schedule a no obligation, in person review of your estate plan and how our team can help you plan your estate strategies. Each person has a unique life situation and needs customized estate planning.
Resources / Blog
Visiting Our Office We are excited to see you again. Many things have changed since you last visited our office so we want to make you aware of what to expect when you arrive. Your safety is paramount so we have made changes to our physical space and to our protocols,...
Worried about your finances as the global pandemic continues? You're not alone. Uncertain times can create extra discomfort During times of uncertainty, the prospect of talking about money can be extra uncomfortable. Read our interview with Stacy Whytewood, QAFP, on...
The question that keeps us busy is “How do I achieve my financial goal”. The first step is to put a financial plan in place and working on ways to achieve the goal. Some of these include, saving before spending, allocating 10-20% of income towards building retirement...