In Photo – 2019 Appointed Membership
Left to right: Shashank Hedao, Chonna Munnalall, Shahin Soheili, Evan Brett, Councillor Petrina Arnason, Councillor Steve Ferguson (Missing: Manjit Gill)
About Seniors Advisory Committee
The Seniors Advisory Committee was established by Council to:
- Represent the Township of Langley seniors’ perspectives on municipal and other key seniors’ issues (i.e. transportation, affordability, parks, cultural, and recreation services, and geographical service delivery);
- Provide a voice for Township of Langley seniors, exchanging information about current issues and emerging concerns;
- Provide input to Township staff as requested;
- Work toward identified goals as outlined in an annual work plan (work plan may include hosting seniors discussion forums, support strategic planning for development of local senior services, public information, etc.);
- Make recommendations to Council on related matters.
The Committee is interested in raising the awareness of seniors’ needs for services in terms of outdoor spaces and places, transportation, housing, social participation, respect and social inclusion, civic participation and inclusion, communication and information, and community support and health services in the community.
In making its appointments to the Seniors Advisory Committee, Council will consider Langley’s geographic diversity and public interest, and appoint applicants who possess knowledge and expertise in these areas. Applications are accepted each year during the month of October for members to start in January.
On September 8, 2014, Council passed a motion to adopt the strategy and included a commitment to become an Age-friendly Community. Work has begun on an implementation phase. Visit the Age-friendly Strategy page to learn more.
The committee meets the third Wednesday of every month, except for July and August. Refer to the Council Calendar for meeting dates.